So, Barclay Jones is 5 years old this month. We rarely write about ourselves (but if you do want to know more about us, you can take a peek at what computer games we played in the 80s).
We’re breaking our own rules because we’re dead chuffed – we’re 5 years old this week. We are a 2008 baby (baby boom year!) and we were born deep in the middle of the recession #BringItOn. To celebrate, we’re taking a day out of the business (god forbid) and hiring (yippee!). (…And we’re going to attempt to turn our phones off tomorrow! This is going to be a test of endurance!)
Being 5 got me thinking about 5 years… and some interesting things happened in 2008.
- In 2008 Facebook hit 200million users, MySpace and Blogger dominated! (What?)
- Slumdog Millionaire won the Best Picture Oscar in 2008
- Portsmouth won the FA cup in 2008 – not sure how I feel about that?
- 5th wedding anniversaries are “wooden” – for mine I got wooden spoons (#romantic)
- Amy Winehouse won Record of the Year in 2008 (Grammy) for Rehab
- Speedo invented a new swimsuit (the “LZR” which apparently helped Phelps nail down so many medals – think I may get a whole body suit made for my trips to London! #NeedForSpeed
- GPS hit the iPhone market (seems like we’ve always had it?)
- The average cost of recruiting staff rose for £4,000 to £6,000.
- Android was born (and slated!) Oh, how times have changed (I am a #Google girl now!)
- The Apple App store was created! (what did we do before?)
Big thanks to the following people / organisations who have helped us along the way – and if I’ve forgotten you – leave a comment and you win a cake!
- The REC and it’s fab RecTecHub
- APSCo – they’ve always been a great advocate of ours and speaking at their events / running webinars for them is always a pleasure
- Louise Triance at UK Recruiter – a great lady who really knows the recruitment market and always has the best speakers and content (and we’re flattered to be part of that)
- The IOR asked us to run some events for them in Leeds and Manchester – thanks team
- Dee Dee and the team at the Recruiter – thanks for publishing our content
- The UndercoverRecruiter – we are honoured to be a regular “columnist” – and coming near the top of their most read articles is great payback – thanks
There have been some lovely Recruitment Technology suppliers out there who are open minded, want to work with impartial consultants and ask us to help their clients – mentioning them would be a plug (so we can’t) but you know who you are and how you have helped us.
So what for year 6? We’re hiring… So you lovely people who read our content, listen to us speak, and get sick of us telling you to stop advertise are permitted to do a double take! We need a trainer, a project manager and someone to organise us (office manager / PA). The campaign to find them will be coming soon, so please keep a look out. In the meantime if you know anyone who is evangelical about getting jiggy with recruitment technology and social media / wants to organise a team of busy consultants, please put them my way.
(Anything we’d do differently? We wouldn’t choose a brand name that when abbreviated causes all sorts of problems, including not being able to buy the domain bj.com – that site takes multitasking to a whole new level! And imagine the clients we’d attract!)