So, I’ve been an avid iPhone user ever since my hairdresser (bloke with a penchant for tech) gave me Stuff magazine and changed my life (the Blackberry died for me that day).
I’ve been a loyal, evangelist even, about my iPhone. The time has come, though, to move on to Samsung (Android) – and this is why…
Having dinner with Mike Restivo from @Bullhorn and hearing him wax lyrical about moving to Samsung was enough to whet my appetite. Then going to upgrade my iPhone 4 to a 5 (end of contract), only to find that for a stupid £240 I would be upgrading to… pretty much bugger all.
Even the VodaFone sales rep raised his eyebrows and said “we’re all selling our iPhone 5s to get a Samsung Galaxy S4s”.
Up until that point I had been thinking the following about the S4:
- There’s not enough apps
- It’s too big (size matters!)
- My life is Apple (adaptors, Bose, blah blah…)
- I haven’t got time to interrupt my business tech with new gear
Then, he gave the S4 and things changed.
- It was £40 to upgrade – worth the risk and road test a bit of kit – my job is to know stuff about tech, so what the hell
- The screen’s bigger (good), which means the phone is bigger (bad?) but I have pixie hands (5’2″ tall) and it felt fine – in fact, light as a new born puppy and I’m still able to text one-handed
- Apps – OMG… loads and in some instances better than iPhone apps
- I can still use iTunes and use an app to migrate certain playlists to my S4 (sweet!)
I meet clients and they gawk at my Samsung and say “should I change?” and “what’s different?”. Here are some of the things I love (and apologies if they are on iPhone too… feel free to put me right):
- I can schedule texts and emails (eg. remembering birthdays is a pain – no longer an issue as I can setup the text and no worry about forgetting)
- I can setup a block (like the iPhone) but have it scheduled and also still accept calls from certain people
- My apps auto update (bliss)
- I can setup alarms in advance for any day of the week
- Continuous input keyboard – OMG! This feature has changed my life. See this YouTube video for what I mean
- It integrates into my Google life beautifully (I want an easy life)
- I can totally customise my screens and make my life so much easier
- Proper multi-tasking – having 2 screens open at once
- Access to the task bar without shutting stuff down (hence I can turn on my wifi, bluetooth, hotspot etc… without mucking about!)
- The camera apps are superb and allow me to have a proper play with the photos
- It integrates into my business-life beautifully and I have fun along the way
Seriously, my life is just so much simpler! I am a lot less restricted in terms of how I use my phone. I can do things so much quicker and easier.
Happy to debate with die-hard-Apple users!
Here’s a great article (that it is compulsory to drink a nice cold beer with) to help you see some great features for the new S4.