Just a bit of fun. I am known for equating social media to a little like being on a date. I have worked in recruitment for over a decade and I have seen some pretty hair raising stuff at recruitment nights out (you know who you are!)
Now I am working in the land of consulting with recruitment firms I can be totally judgemental! So here’s some thoughts of mine… can you see yourself in here? Would you add anything?
Are you a social media floosie?
- Are you a LION (LinkedIn Open Networker?) I have a little problem with “specialist” recruiters connecting with “anyone”.
- Do you follow more people on Twitter than follow you – this is not always a definite sign of you being a floosie, but think about the message you are sending out by potentially following “everything in a skirt” to attract attention.
- The people you are following on Twitter, or connected to on LinkedIn – maybe you have absolutely no idea who they are or how you connected with them… one night stands?
- Is your social media photo one that has you cropped at the shoulders with apparently no clothes on? (oops)
Or are you a boring date?
- You scream and shout about how many followers / mentions / retweets you have? (Akin to “look how many exhausts my car has”, or “I scored this many “units” last month”)
- You talk more about yourself than listen / comment on others
- #Job #Jobs #Hiring (see previous post…)
- You don’t have much to say at all…
- Is your social media photo one that has you yapping on the phone / typing at a pc… is that really who you are?
Have a think about your online behaviour and how it makes you look – and think about whether it would get you that hot date, or even a second date if you were lucky enough to get the first!
We run LinkedIn for Recruiters courses for time-starved recruiters, who think they have a handle on LinkedIn, but want to improve their profile, increase their relevant application response and place more jobs. Read about the courses here.