I have a bit of a sci-fi thing going on at the mo (to be fair, most of the time), so here goes with some power user (Jedi) tricks for Recruiters using LinkedIn:
- When posting jobs in Groups (job Discussions area) use the 200 character intro to “sell” your role. That text goes out in the daily email digest to group members so make it count (even to the 80% of passives out there) – you’re aim is to generate interest, attract candidates apply for the role, not simply to post the thing and tick a box! Jedi-mind trick passives into actually wanting to read your job post. “You don’t need to see his identification … These aren’t the droids you’re looking for … He can go about his business … Move along.”
- If you have access to the new Contact system on LinkedIn upload it – it’s totally awesome (Obi-wan Kenobi uses that word all of the time!) Lovely features outlined in the blog link above. If you don’t have it yet, be patient. “Now, witness the power of this fully operational battle station.”
- Get your Profile Headline actually saying what you do rather than what’s on your business card – Recruiter at ABC Resourcing means nothing and is likely to be missed in favour of “Specialist in SAP Recruitment, working across the UK with SAP Contractors” – god forbid you actually come up in candidate searches…! “But how could they be jamming us if they don’t know… that we’re… coming?”
- Tag your contacts don’t just collect them. Tagging is a really powerful way of ensuring future, speedy access to contacts (marketing jobs, canvassing candidates, events marketing etc…) “Look sir, Droids!”
- Increase your sector-specific contacts - the global average for recruiters is 650…. poor “must try harder”. Spend 10 mins a week looking for the coffees you want to have with clients and candidates and make it happen – don’t just source for the vacancy you have today. “Do, or do not do. There is no try.” Your clients and candidates expect (and pay) you to be better than them.
- Running a crap group? Shut it down or gear it up – don’t let it dangle. (See previous blog on 10 commandments for LinkedIn Groups) “What a piece of junk!”
- Look for Hidden Gem jobs in the jobs database – these are jobs where less than 5 people have applied and the client needs help. “I’m Luke Skywalker I’m here to rescue you!”
- Look at the followers of your clients’ company pages - 71% 0f them are candidates wanting to work there (according to stats from LinkedIn). “Travelling through hyperspace ain’t like dustin’ crops, boy!”
- Save your searches (3 for people, 10 for jobs and if you have paid for accounts even more). Get the data coming to you – you’re not measured on how long you spend on LinkedIn! ”The ability to speak does not make you intelligent. Now get out of here.”
- Expose 3rd level connections using the Share button in their profile. “The Dark Side of the Force is the pathway to many abilities some consider to be… Unnatural.”
I was going to end this blog with “may the force be with you” but that would be just too obvious, instead,
“This is Red 5, I’m going in.”
(If I’m honest, I feel a little dirty now!) “And I thought they spelled bad on the outside.” #StarWars
We run LinkedIn for Recruiters courses for time-starved recruiters, who think they have a handle on LinkedIn, but want to improve their profile, increase their relevant application response and place more jobs. Read about the courses here.